SilkSerif

Silk & Serif

Silk & Serif a book blog developed by Debbie. We are dedicated to reviews, the book community and all things "bookish"! The main focus of the blog being Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance and YA novels.

The Worst of Times: How Life on Earth Survived Eighty Million Years of Extinction
Paul B. Wignall
The Bourbon Kings
J.R. Ward
Smoke on the Water (Sisters of the Craft)
Lori Handeland
Never Cry Wolf : Amazing True Story of Life Among Arctic Wolves
Farley Mowat
SPOILER ALERT!

Shiver

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater Alright, I picked this book up because Id heard it was a complete catastrophic mess. Id heard many, many bad reviews and few good ones. I like to read a good dose of terrible writing every once in awhile, mainly because sometimes these books are my favourites.

The novel starts off with Grace describing the wolf attack where she met her canine obsession. I can easily see why she would be obsessed with an animal that rescued her from death, then returns every winter to her home to watch her. Later on in the book Sam (our canine obsession humanized) and Grace become friends, boyfriend and girlfriend and finally lovers. In between this blooming relationship's dialogues, we learn about Mercy Falls' residents, and of Jack - the one who was bitten and left to learn about his lycanthropy on his own.

I loved the relationship between Grace and her wolf-come-human. It was a sweet story about first love, and the complete trust you have in that person. A really unique point in all young woman's lives, since we only get to experience that type of love once. Stiefvater's writing did a decent job of evoking emotions from me, which was rather fascinating since most YA fiction tends to be less emotional for me because I cant connect with the characters.

Every character in Mercy Falls has major personality quirks: Grace is selfish at timees an obsessed with Sam, Sam is obsessed with Grace and cant function without her telling him what to do, Olivia is rather rude and mean to her "best friend" Grace but still loves her, and so on. I found that these personality flaws, intentional or not, made the characters more real for me because none of them are perfect.

THERE WERE NO LOVE TRIANGLES LIKE MOST YA PARANORMAL FANTASY THAT ARE PUBLISHED IN THE NEW MILLENNIUM, THANK GOD!

I didn't like how eventually Sam became so dependent on Grace, and vice versa. The relationship is still new, so it wasn't a huge deal for me, just part of being in a first-love-relationship. This will pass, obviously but, it made me a little frustrated with the characters.

The poetry, song lyrics and whatnot detracted from the story. I hated them, but I understood why Stiefvater put them in and respect it. Its just not my cup of tea.